Friday, June 10, 2011

One more look back

A couple of days ago I went to get some food at KFC. I went to the drive through and waited for what seemed like forever (2 minutes), so I drove around to walk into the restaurant. When I got into the restaurant, there was a huge line (3 people). I waited and waited forever (2 minutes) and got fed up and left! I'm being honest about my experience to talk about patience. This is the one thought I want to leave with you this post: when doing a work related task, or personal task, or any kind of project, after your finished and are ready to move on to the next thing, take one more look at your work. I think as a group of people, myself included, we are generally impatient. Take the extra few minutes to double check your work and see if there is that one thing you missed. I did this very thing at work this morning and corrected 3 mistakes by going back to double check my work. You never know how this will affect you, your boss might be considering giving you a raise and this might just be the extra thing that gets you one. Double checking your work might also keep your boss from firing you if you have been messing up lately. Looking back at a task or errand that you did at home might save you from having to call a professional!  Like determination, patience is a quality we all should strive for, I do daily and hope you will to. We might never reach perfection, but taking one more look back might get us one step closer!

2 comments:

  1. Very true. I am happy to say that God has blessed me with a lot of patience. However, sometimes I think it is too much! At work, for example, we have to constantly move to make sure we don't miss receiving times. I on the other hand double check and triple check myself. By doing this I am lacking confidence in my work. The result is me spending 12 hours on a job that should take 8 or less! So I definitely need to find the balance between patience and confidence.

    Your story at the beginning hits home to a lot of people. We are an impatient society. Due to super fast technology and other factors like FAST food. Seriously, how healthy can food be that is cooked in 1-2 minutes or less? Why do we settle for junk just because it is cook and served in less than 2 minutes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with David and Kimanzi regarding double checking your work. It is very important to make sure that you are not making mistakes at your job, especially when you are new. If you strive for excellence at your job you will become excellent at what you do. Then, double checking your work can become more periodic or systems can be put into place to ensure quality. Sloppiness and mistakes come into play when focus is lost. People that own successful businesses are focused and efficient. People that are easily distracted will work at dead end jobs for the rest of their lives. If they are working at all!

    ReplyDelete