Tuesday, July 5, 2011

85% Employment

I did a post a while back about a conversation someone close to me had about a story they saw on the news talking about the 15% unemployment rate (look it up, it's worth a read). I had talked about how it was the news stations job to only focus on the negative side of things and that most people watched this, and actually believe this garbage.

Flash forward to today, I saw something this weekend that put things into perspective for me. As I was driving home from some merchandising, I saw a family going up and down my block cutting grass. It was a father, mother, son, and daughter, and each of them had lawnmowers. I saw them get done with the grass at home, then go and talked to people at the next house seeing if they wanted their grass cut. They were going up and down the block and cut almost every yard. I watched when they got done and took their lawnmowers to their truck and saw my opportunity.


I went up to the dad and did a little interview about what they were doing. He told me how he had gotten laid off from a company he worked at for 20 years and that his family was helping make ends meet any way they could. He said he looks for jobs all week, and on the weekends they cut grass making about $500 for Saturday and Sunday (not bad!). I shook his hand and congratulated him and his family for doing whatever it takes!

With the economy being as bad as it is, and with the fact that it will take a lot longer than we thought to come back, we have to do whatever it takes. The news will down play everything and make it seem like the world's coming to an end, IT'S NOT! They love to talk about the 15% unemployment rate but neglect to talk about the 85% that are employed. Moreover, they would never even consider people like that family of grass cutters, someone who doesn't have an "official" job but is still making money.

Even in this bad economy there is money to be made out there, the questions is are you willing to do whatever it takes? What would you do if you were laid off tomorrow? It's all about your attitude and your perspective, are you going to be negative and make a bad situation worse? Or will you be positive and take full advantage of all the opportunity? They chose the later and are making it, what would you do? When you've got no income and your family is looking at you scared, will you step up like that father did? Or will you turn the news on, see the stories, and start crying? I hope you've got what it takes!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment